On a cold Sunday morning in November over forty people turned up for the unveiling ceremony of the school plaque on the gate post. John Bernklow had commented on Facebook that there was nothing to indicate that the school had been on that site. The committee decided that a plaque would be an appropriate addition and the suggestion was raised at the AGM of WOSA last July. The suggestion was met with universal approval and Ann and Alan Mottershead who own the house and gatepost were approached and fully supported the idea. Bill Sykes asked a local firm to quote and design a suitable plaque. After some discussion of the various designs presented the committee selected a plaque made of local slate with the text etched in white. The plaque was completed and installed on the gate post in early November. As some younger members were coming to Carlisle for a reunion on Saturday November 16th. It was decided to hold the unveiling on the Sunday morning. We were surprised and pleased that so many members of WOSA turned out. There were people who had been at school encompassing a range of years from the 1930’s and 1940’s right up to the year the school closed. Malcolm Bell spoke about what the school had meant to so many and he called for a brief silence so we could think about the past. Helen Morris (President) then opened the curtains to reveal the plaque. Once again Ann and Alan offered the use of their house for refreshments which were welcome on a cold morning.
Unveiling of new plaque